What is Startalk?
During June, 2014, the Confucius Institute at the University of Kansas will offer a two-week STARTALK summer language institute designed to give secondary school students the opportunity to learn Chinese. The United States currently has too few speakers of this critically important language.
STARTALK 2014: C2-Chinese Connect will be the seventh annual STARTALK program offered by the Confucius Institute at the University of Kansas.
STARTALK is a federally funded program under the National Security Language Initiative (NSLI), a set of programs launched in 2006 to increase the number of Americans skilled in strategically important world languages, including Chinese. The mission of STARTALK is to “increase the number of Americans learning, speaking, and teaching critical need foreign languages by offering students (K-16) and teachers of these languages creative and engaging summer experiences that strive to exemplify best practices in language education”.
- Cost: Free! There are no deposits, registration fees, or tuition required from students.
- Dates: Monday, June 16 - Friday, June 27, 2014
- Section 1: June 16-25: mornings at local school. Students will be instructed via videoconferencing from the KU Edwards Campus.
- Section 2: June 25 and 26: students will overnight in dorms at the KU campus in Lawrence.
- Section 3: June 26 and 27: daytime activities at the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park.
- Program Content: Chinese and Movies! Students learn how to talk about their own preferences in music, films, sports, activities, and other interests. Using the language and culture taught in the program, the students work in groups to make short films and hold a film festival on the last day of camp. See the curriculum page for more detail.
Who is Eligible?
The program is designed for students who will be enrolled in secondary school in the Fall semester. Students who have had no Chinese, as well as those who have studied some beginning Chinese, are all welcome.
Participants may submit applications through their school district. The 2014 participating districts include: Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Hutchinson, KS; Maize, KS; Lawrence, KS; Lincoln College Preparatory Academy, Kansas City MO; Gravette, AR.
There may also be a limited number of openings available for local students who wish to participate as day students at the Confucius Institute for the entire two weeks.